Colour Theory for the Practicing Artist
Saturdays, Nov. 2nd, Feb. 1st, and May 2nd, 9:30 am - 4:00 pm
Instructor: Lauren McKinley Renzetti
Fee: $130 (incl. HST) Please bring lunch and materials! (See material list below)
In this full day workshop students will explore how colour works in relation to its neighbors on the colour wheel. We will paint our way through true primary, secondary and tertiary colours along with homogeneous, analogous and complimentary colours. Along the way we will gain some language about colour from hue, warm, cool, tint, tone, shade, intensity, simultaneous contrast, luminosity and what each colours value is on the grey scale. We will also look at Colour Theorists, Itten, Munsell, and Goethe. This is a hands on workshop where you should use the paint you already have to create useful colour wheels and value scales that help you further understand what your chosen palette can do.
Space is limited to 12 people
- Instructor will supply paper for exercises, but extra paper is a good idea if you tend to be prolific or take lots of notes. You will need to bring….
- 2H or HB pencil, scissors , Water containers, paper towels
- Beverage and lunch
- Palette that can hold many colours at once (round plastic ones with 6-8-10 wells, or even several white lids from sour cream are even better )
- #2, #4, talkyon round tipped brush and or #4, #6 talkyon flat tipped brush – it makes a smoother surface than hogs hair brushes,
- 2-3 Water containers.
- The minimum colours needed for this workshop are: (titanium- a must) white, (ivory or any other) black , primary yellow, primary red/ magenta, primary blue/cyan. If true primaries are unavailable then owning a medium red, magenta, lemon yellow, medium yellow, ultramarine blue, pthalo blue are your best options. Paint can be Gouache or Acrylic or Holbein Acrylic Gouache. . Avoid oil, watercolour or tempera as they have challenges that do not work well with colour theory.
Lauren McKinley Renzetti Bio:
Lauren McKinley Renzetti is a mixed media artist, specializing in Abstract Maximalism of the world around her through drawing, printmaking, collage & paint. She received a combined Honours Art & Theatre degree from McMaster University. Lauren has worked as an artist & teacher for over 35 years; currently at the Art Gallery of Ontario, & Seneca College. Lauren keeps busy as a curator for Neighbourhood Gallery in the beaches, , artist- in -residence at a camp & as a scenic painter in film. She strives for satisfying moments of “Eureka!”, & that sense of wonder when something uncertain develops into something truly great! Lauren shows her work widely, in Ontario, Brooklyn & Bulgaria. You can find her at laurenmckinleyrenzettii.ca LinkedIn, FB & instagram @artwithlauren